Friday, April 17, 2015

Trailer Smash

I still remember the first time I saw Star Wars.  I was living in Detroit and the best place to see such a film was on the big screen they had at the Americana in Southfield.  So we drove cross town and there was as large crowd who apparently had the same idea.  You never knew--there had been a fair amount of publicity for the film, but it wasn't like today when everyone knows if something big is happening.

I remember seeing placards in the lobby--the film looked so mysterious, yet enticing.  There was one photo of Princess Leia leaning down to deal with R2-D2 (not that I had any idea who they were then).  I remember how magical the whole film was, from its first shot.  I remember leaving the theatre, exhilarated.

Since then, Star Wars has become more influential than anyone could imagine.  But can the upcoming sequel ever recapture the magic that first film had?  Probably not, but based on the reaction to the new trailer, it may be that at least the series is back on track.

Judge for yourself:


5 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I remember going cross town with the family to a big theater in Yonkers. I can't really tell if I actually remember seeing it for the first time in '77, I've seen it so many times since.

I do remember seeing the original trilogy in '87 I believe at the U. of Chicago - all three back to back to back. I have to say that that is a truly enjoyable experience (with bathroom breaks, of course). The audience was really enthralled all the way through, and there are not many trilogies that harken back and forth as well, with themes carried through all three films.

Has Lucas ever said whether he intended Luke and Leia to be siblings from the beginning?

12:41 PM, April 17, 2015  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Except that I think they could have given Chewbaca a little grey hair too, I love that trailer. It was important to see Hamilton Ford looking a little more robust than he has in his last few features (42, Ender's Game, etc.). No one wanted to see Han Solo in a wheel chair.

12:42 PM, April 17, 2015  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I've read a fair amount about the making of the original Star Wars. Lucas had a ton of material and, for the first film, had to cut most of it to concentrate on what he thought was the best part of the story. But I don't think he planned to have Luke and Leia be related until he made the second movie. If he did know, then A New Hope is pretty creepy, since it seems to be setting up a romance between them.

1:55 PM, April 17, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the trailer but Han Solo gave the impression he was drooling

5:26 PM, April 17, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Chewie, we're home...get me my walker."

6:49 PM, April 17, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter