Monday, September 26, 2016

Under Cover

Today is the first Presidential debate.  It may determine who'll be our next chief executive.  Will I be watching?  No.

For years--as far back as the 90s--I have been avoiding debates, speeches, almost any appearances of politicians.  I find it better for my digestion.  Most of the things they say are annoying, since they manage to promise everything while saying very little. (Actually, they sometimes make specific promises which end up being annoying as well.) Having to watch them speak in real time isn't worth it.

Even before the internet was everywhere, you could find out what they said in their speech/debate the next day or so.  And anything important would be reported widely.  Nowadays, you can find out everything almost immediately afterward, and that's good enough for me.  And while we're at it, if you're reasonably well-informed, you'll see they rarely say anything you didn't expect them to say.

Reading a transcript is much more enjoyable.  You can stop whenever you like.  You can speed through or skip past the most irritating parts.  And you can drill in on something if it truly makes you laugh.

I admit Trump adds a new element.  He's a compelling figure because you never know what will come out of his mouth.  But it's still not worth it.  I'll forgo the joy of seeing something unexpected to avoid all the disturbing things that will predictably be said.

So don't expect a deep analysis of tonight's debate the next day on this blog (from me, anyway).  And certainly don't expect liveblogging.  I've got over a hundred channels--there's got to be something worth watching when they talk.  Or maybe I'll just read a book.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to skip it too. Its too upsetting meh vs. unspeakable horror. Funny how Dim Don only really succeeds if he is basically boring- much to the disappointment of his core crazed supporters, the networks and the democrats.

3:55 AM, September 26, 2016  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I haven't watched or listened to a debate liove in probably 20 years. I stopped when I realized 1) it doesn't really change the election outlook and 2) as noted, no one says anything you don't expect them to say.

9:42 AM, September 26, 2016  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Might be fun if you do a drinking game. Then again most things seem more fun that way.

11:55 AM, September 26, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter