Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wanting

Judging by their covers, women's magazines are obsessed with lists of what men are looking for.  I've read some of these lists (generally in waiting rooms) because I want to know what I allegedly find interesting in women.

Here's a short list that's readily available on the internet (and there are numerous others if you want to bother), with my added comments:

1.  HE WANTS A WOMAN WHO IS PLAYFUL

The point here is you can't just talk your way into a man's heart, you've got to do things, like, they suggest, play ping pong.  Maybe, but sometimes men just want to sit down and rest.  The argument is that men don't "feel it" for you because of what you say.  I don't know--talking is a good start.

2. HE WANTS A WOMAN WHO IS INDEPENDENT

There may be something to this, but it shows how these lists are affected by social change.  Would this have appeared on a list published in the 1950s?  (And, in general, are these lists about what men want, or about what women want men to want?)

3.  HE WANTS A WOMAN WHO IS EMOTIONALLY MATURE

Well, yes, if given the choice of a bawling baby, a drama queen, a screaming harpy or an emotionally mature woman, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he leans toward the last one.

4.  HE WANTS A WOMAN HE'S INTENSELY ATTRACTED TO

Are they even trying?  There are only four items on this list and they come up with this tautology?  Yes, I agree, men are attracted to women they're attracted to.  Thanks for clearing that up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


I misread #4 at first as saying men really want women who are really attracted to them- which I would have agreed with ( cf. I have always been impressed by the insight and intelligence of those who agree with me) but I see its really saying in order for a man to like a woman, he's got to like her.

3:57 AM, September 28, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

That's what I like about you, Anonymous, how you almost always agree with me.

Although that cf is making me nervous. It's almost enough to make one think you're licensed, or something

1:11 PM, September 28, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To drive, in most states, is all

1:42 PM, September 28, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter