Friday, November 18, 2016

Owen Has A Boyfriend

I swear I'm not coming back on a regular basis. But when I see something like Owen Gleiberman's review in Variety of Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened, I have to comment.

The film is a documentary about the original production of Stephen Sondheim's cult flop Merrily We Roll Along.  Along the way, Owen notes "For my taste, it goes a little heavy on the Sondheim gush..."

I couldn't agree more.  Sondheim may be the greatest living Broadway composer, but that's no excuse for overdoing it.  But then I said to myself "isn't Gleiberman the same guy I took to task a month ago for his crush on Lin-Manuel Miranda?" Yes he was.

Here are some highlights from his previous piece:

...you feel as thrillingly enveloped in the soul of [Miranda's vision] as you do when standing in front of a Jackson Pollock painting or reading a novel by Jane Austen.

...[Miranda's show Hamilton] has done nothing less than rewrite the way Americans think and feel about the Founding Fathers....

With his long hair and goatee and big glistening dark eyes, he looks like a softer, puppy-dog version of Al Pacino [....] He's got a gregarious smile and a bright, warm, open-for-business charisma [....] Miranda [...] gives off a glow. There's a light of insatiable eagerness inside him.

[Miranda] tosses off a rap of such savage density and insouciance, and makes it look so easy, that we're awed by his gift.  [He is] one of the five or six most virtuoso MCs in the history of hip-hop.

Whatever, Owen, whatever.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen owned.

6:10 PM, November 18, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

That guy looks like a young Jason Alexander.

3:23 AM, November 19, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Which one? Jason Alexander or the other guy?

9:07 AM, November 19, 2016  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I hope you return periodically to comment on Westworld.

9:24 AM, November 19, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

There have been certain shows I commented on regularly, as readers know. Lost, Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, etc. I do watch Westworld but I don't know if there's enough there (or really if I'm interested enough) to write about it each week.

The show has a decent cast, and looks pretty good, but when the first season is done, exactly how much will have happened? Their reveal has been awfully slow.

9:44 AM, November 19, 2016  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I read that he producers are promising to answer all this year's quetions by the season finale - but who knows. They don't have many episodes left.

By the way, have you watched "Frequency" on the CW? Another time shifting series, based on an old movie. I like it so far, and it doesn't take much for a series to survive on the CW, so I'll probably keep watching.

9:52 AM, November 21, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

They might answer certain questions, but all of them? I doubt it. We don't even know what Westworld is. Where is it? What part of the world? In what year? What is the rest of the world like? How does the outside world know about, and view, Westworld?

I don't watch anything on CW. It's not a rule, but it's how things have worked out.

12:19 PM, November 21, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter