Friday, April 14, 2017

Get A Loder Him

I recently saw Colossal, a movie with a weird premise--a huge monster rampaging through Seoul, Korea is unwittingly controlled by Anne Hathaway (or anyway, the character she portrays).

This is all in the trailer, so I'm not giving anything away.  But from there, the movie goes in certain directions you likely won't see coming.  And Kurt Loder, in his review, doesn't like these directions.

That's his business.  Critics can think what they want.  But his summing up is pretty weird.  Here's how he ends his piece (slight spoiler):

When we're compelled to watch [one of the characters] smacking [Anne Hathaway's character] and beating her to the ground, it's hard to find much else about the movie enjoyable.  I hope I'm not alone in this response.

Hey, Loder, give us your opinion, not your hurt feelings.  Movie's often feature characters having a rough time--it's called drama.

I don't like the implication in that last sentence--that a decent person would feel bad, like he does.  Whether or not others agree with you shouldn't be your concern.  Judge the film, not my morality.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

So how did he feel about Anne Hathaway being hit and sexually abused in Les Miserables?

5:14 AM, April 17, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know how he felt, but I know that I was thinking "this performance is so bad it's bound to win an Oscar."

9:37 AM, April 17, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter