Wednesday, May 24, 2017

It's Not A Game

Typecasting is a high-class problem.  But if you do manage to get a role that everyone knows you for, many who cast films or TV might think twice before giving you a very different sort of part.

The funny thing is, I have a problem with the opposite issue.  If a good actor--Bryan Cranston, to pick an obvious example--plays a farcical sitcom character for seven seasons, I'm more than ready to accept him in a dramatic role as a teacher turned meth dealer for five seasons.

What can be harder to deal with is someone playing something too similar to what he's already done.  Anyway, that's what I was thinking while watching the recent King Arthur movie. (If you haven't seen it, I'm not surprised, since it flopped.)

Early on, there's a scene where one character, played by Michael McElhatton, is searching for another, played by Aidan Gillen.  But all I could think was "why does Roose Bolton want to find Littlefinger?"

If I worked in casting, I'd be happy to consider the Game Of Thrones people for many roles, but I'd keep them out of fictional medieval settings.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

It has to with expectations and the current state of how movies are made and marketed. I am making a habit of watching old free movies on AmazonPrime and there were clearly certain actors that were clearly the same character from film to film- of course back then the studio just kept churning them out and formula was a baseline of sorts. George Raft and Ava Gardner (I'm watching Whistle Stop right now at about 12 minutes per night-maybe I'll write about it)probably played the tough guy in a hat and the long cool woman who means trouble dozens of times. Westerns and war movies tended to have the same old stock characters and actors playing them too. Clint Eastwood played the same character successfully throughout his career (up through the Romney convention) But then the world is different now which I think is LA guy's point- you don't see these actors frequently enough in different roles that you get the same feel.

8:37 AM, May 25, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter