Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Only The Beginning

In Mark Zuckerberg's recent commencement address at Harvard, he said:

...it's not enough to have purpose yourself. You have to create a sense of purpose for others.

Let me congratulate Mr. Zuckerberg on saying something interesting.  By interesting, I mean something--unlike most of the cliches you hear at such addresses--you can actually disagree with.

I won't go into a long discussion of how I feel about Zuckerberg's claim.  I'll just say that creating a sense of purpose for others is a questionable and potentially dangerous activity.

In fact, the statement--the thesis of his speech--though well-meaning, can sound more like a threat than a promise.

1 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

What evidence do you have that it's well meaning?

6:38 PM, June 06, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter