Wednesday, June 21, 2017

What's Up

I watched T. J. Miller's special Meticulously Ridiculous on HBO.  As stand-up--or perhaps you could call it performance art--it wasn't much.  He's got a lively persona, but not the material to back it up.

The only reason I'm writing about it is near the end he started telling a story (that wasn't true) about a neurologist named Dr. Stokol.  And I perked up.  I know this guy! I saw him a few years ago to check out something--don't worry, it was no big deal.

It did, however, seem odd that T. J. would tell a story that's at least partly made up. I assume he did have some neurological issue, and did see Dr. Stokol, but the specific encounter Miller describes is too bizarre to be real.

Did he get permission from Dr. Stokol?  It's not the sort of publicity a doctor would want, I'd think.

5 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

So did you know it was no big deal before the visit?

5:34 PM, June 21, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I was referred by another doctor, and both of us expected it was no big deal. It was just to play it safe.

8:10 PM, June 21, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I think the advent of Ted Talks has spilled over into stand-up. I recently watched Chris Gethard's HBO special "Career Suicide," and found it very good. The show also references a real doctor, who Gethard assures the audience is fine with the stories he tells. The humor is gentle and entertaining, and stands out as it contrasts with apparently true, confessional stories of serious depression. I thought it very informative and moving.

However, I'm cautious about relying on entertainment as a source of education. I suppose all good educators are in part performers (even in law school). But then you get people who consider SNL and the Daily Show as their primary source for news, which I believe leads many to faulty understandings of current events.

I was thinking of watching Miller's special, since I liked his role in Deadpool, but maybe I'll pick up a good Ted Talk instead.

4:57 AM, June 22, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Stand up is not brain surgery.

"faulty understandings of current events" - I think the dullards are just as guilty of this.

8:40 AM, June 22, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I liked Chris Gethard's special. He had good material. Miller's was much weaker.

8:52 AM, June 22, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter