Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Lovely GLOW

I've finally gotten around to watching GLOW, the new Netflix comedy.  Created by Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch, with some help from Jenji Cohan, it's a (highly) fictionalized version of the original 1980s GLOW TV show--"Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling."

The main character is Ruth Wilder, an out-of-work actress desperate to get any gig, even a TV show that features wrestling.  There's also Sam Sylvia, a exploitation film director, who's in charge of getting the show on the air.

Most of the rest of the cast are the other women of GLOW, each with their own personality, each who will have to take on a new wrestling personality.

A few episodes in, I like it.  I like Alison Brie, who plays Ruth, in anything, though her odd, 80s-appropriate hairstyle, doesn't show her off at her best.  And Marc Maron as the cynical, sad director, almost steals the show.

As Brie has noted in interviews, a lot of people don't realize there was such a show back the 1980s.  It was an odd time, when professional wresting was a big deal, and so it only made sense that the women would get their chance.

I was never much into wrestling, but I do remember the original GLOW.  I don't remember too many of the characters, but I do remember it was more a comedy show than a sports show. But I guess that's all professional wrestling.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I watched the original GLOW (I think on LA Guy's TV set which was giant for the time). I think I could maybe stand it for about 5-10 minutes at a time. I was sort of funny but I the actual rassling was not enjoyable- I don't want to see any of these cuties get their elbows dislocated. (I dislocated my elbow wrestling in high school so that's probably a personal thing). I do recall after fighting with each other for the whole show, it would finish with a sort of "Super Bowl Shuffle" routine with all the characters which was sort of weak.

5:04 PM, July 26, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter