Saturday, September 23, 2017

That's It

The movie It has become one of the biggest horror movies of all time.  It's all the more impressive in that this is not a big-budget film, unlike every other Hollywood blockbuster this year.

I saw the film, but haven't read the book, so I have no idea how faithful the movie is.  And since the book is 1000+ pages, I'm sure there was a lot to cut.  But I heard about one scene they removed, and it fascinates me.

Apparently, the gang of twelve-year-olds, fighting an evil clown in the sewer system, decides at one point that they all need to have sex.  There are a bunch of boys and one girl, if you're counting.

This is the kind of thing you can maybe pull off in a novel, where the writing can control to some degree how the reader perceives what's happening.  But in a movie, with actual child performers, no matter how tastefully it's done (assuming it could be tastefully done), it simply wouldn't play.  It would probably turn off the audience so much they'd walk out.

In other words, they'd get the same reaction that mother! is getting now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Eobard Thawne said...

I'm not an expert in such matters, but it seems to me that if a gang of twelve-year-olds is fighting an evil clown in the sewer system, and they asked my advice, I would suggest several tactics:

(1) Bring a machine gun.

(2) Build a clown car with the door handles removed on the inside.

(3) Summon his arch-enemy, the Sad Clown.

(4) Get out of the sewers! You say there's an evil clown in the sewer? That's not a problem for those of us who don't go in the sewers. Duh.

Group sex wouldn't even be on the list.

But what do I know? I haven't made millions of dollars writing thousand-page-books about evil clowns.

8:53 PM, September 23, 2017  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Except for the widely known fact that group sex is always on the list, I'm right with you.

4:43 PM, September 24, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter