Sunday, November 05, 2017

Drop It

In a recent profile of Amy Adams, New York Times critic Manohla Dargis noted the actress could cry "at the drop of a dime."

That's not right, is it?

You do things at the drop of a hat.  And if you want to snitch on someone, you drop a dime on them (which I assume means calling the cops, or something like that).  Or you can stop on a dime.

How did this get through all those layers of checks and balances?

PS  I've checked, and apparently some people do use this locution, though it seems to have been coined (as it were) fairly recently.  It's likely a confusion of other phrases.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I want to know about "drop of a hat."

What is this "hat" thing, anyway?

2:06 PM, November 05, 2017  
Blogger brian said...

For people who have never "dropped a dime" in a pay phone, it is easy to see how they could get confused. I have never stopped on a dime. I assume one would be running or walking, We could never do it with our bikes.

3:45 PM, November 05, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I read it as she cries when people narc on her

6:25 AM, November 06, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter